“A fallen leaf is nothing more than a summer’s wave goodbye.”
- move from a higher to a lower level, typically rapidly and without control
- (of a person) lose one’s balance and collapse
- decrease in number, amount, intensity, or quality
- be captured or defeated
- pass into a specified state, situation, or position
- an act of falling or collapsing
- a thing which falls or has fallen
- a decrease in size, number, rate, or level
- a defeat or downfall
- a flock of woodcock
- Autumn (North American)
Based on the above definition write a story to depict ‘fall’.
THIS EVENT IS CLOSED FOR SUBMISSION
CONGRATULATIONS to the writers who made it to the anthology:
- No entry fee for submission of a story.
- The event is open for the residents of India.
- Writers of age 16+ years are eligible to enter the contest.
- The story MUST be fictional. Any genre (or a combination of two or more genres) is acceptable.
- The submitted story must be between 2500-3000 words (each). Entries lower than or exceeding the word limit will stand disqualified for the event.
- There is no limit to the number of entries that you may submit.
- ONLY exclusive stories submitted for this event shall be considered for inclusion in the anthology. Previously published or plagiarized works will not be considered for contention.
- In case a story is received after the submission deadline, it shall be considered as a guest entry and shall be published on the website.
- Top 10-15 stories shall be selected for the anthology that shall be announced after the event (check event timeline)
- Writers of selected stories shall be contacted separately through email and they would be required to enter into an agreement with Penmancy for the publication of their stories as a part of the anthology. The copyright of the stories remains with the contributing writers.
- Submitted entries to be adjudged based on the following criteria: prompt (8 points); plot & story (15 points); emotional impact (7 points); narrative voice (10 points); use of language (10 points)
The entries adjudged by a panel of judges and event organizers shall be binding.
- Only stories that garnered an average score/rating of 7.5 and above from the panel of judges shall be eligible for inclusion in the anthology.
- The duration of the contest is September 2, 2019 (Monday) to December 31, 2019 (Tuesday).
- The first long list of the submitted stories to be announced on January 6, 2020 (Monday)
- The shortlisted stories to be announced on February 10, 2020 (Monday)
- Cover reveal of the anthology to be announced on February 29, 2020 (Saturday)
- Anthology to be published in March 2020 (Date to be announced closer to the occurrence)
Terms and conditions (Please read carefully)
- These terms apply to the entrants for/of Penmancy Anthology Contest 2019, Half Baked Beans Publishing. You agree to abide by these terms in their entirety. If you do not agree to any of these terms and conditions, you should not use this service. The organizers reserve the right to modify these terms and conditions at any time.
- You agree that you are legally capable of entering the Penmancy Anthology Contest and agree to the Terms and Conditions, and that you are competent (i.e. you are of sufficient age and mental capacity) and eligible to enter into a legally binding agreement with its rules and terms and conditions.
- By submitting your creative work, you declare that it is your own, original work, that it contains no matter which is defamatory or is otherwise unlawful in India, or which invades individual privacy or infringes any proprietary right or any statutory copyright; and you agree to indemnify and hold the organizers harmless against any claim to the contrary.
- You agree that while you retain ownership of your work, and by submitting an entry to the contest, you give Penmancy the permission to use your entry, with acknowledgement, but with no payment to you, on their websites, as part of Press Releases (from where they may be reproduced by media organizations). Should your entry be selected for publication, you give the editors and publishers of the compilation the right to edit your work as they deem fit in consultation with you.
- Should you find your name in the shortlist, you will be contacted solely through the name and address you had given at the time of entry submission, so that the organizers can get your mailing address. You therefore agree that you will respond to this notification within 30 days from the day of the results, and should you fail to do so,
- the organizers have the right to award the prize to the next highest scoring entry, and
- you forfeit all claims to the publication of your story in the anthology
By agreeing to get published you are required to buyback 6-10 copies of the book at MRP (plus courier charges)
- You agree that the decisions of the screening jury and the contest judges are final and binding, and no correspondence will be entertained regarding these decisions.
For questions related to the rules and criteria, please write to us at email@example.com or through the Contact Us section on the website.
Check the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) below
Connect with us on our social media to stay updated on the event details:
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Please read the below mentioned points before raising a query:
Q1. Is there an entry fee to participate in this event?
A1. There is NO fee for entering the Penmancy Anthology Contest 2019. However, should your story be selected for publishing in the anthology, you are required to get into an agreement with Penmancy to buy 10 books at MRP (including courier charges). This arrangement has been established to cover the printing cost of the anthology.
Q2. Will the copyright of the story/stories remain with the writer/author?
A2. The copyright of the story remains with the writer however republishing of the story in print or online is not allowed.
Q3. When can I submit our entry/entries?
A3. You may submit your story anytime during the event, i.e. September 2, 2019 to December 31, 2019.
Q4. Where do I submit my entry/entries?
A4. You may submit your story in a word document to firstname.lastname@example.org. The following details must be included alongwith:
- Name of the author (alias/pen names must be mentioned separately)
- Date of Birth
- Email address
- Short bio
- Picture of self in the dimension 150×150 px
Q5. How will I know if my story gets selected for the anthology?
A5. As detailed in the timeline the shortlisted stories would be annoucned on February 10, 2020 (Monday). If your name is on the list, you shall be notified via an email as well.
Q6. What if my story is not selected for the anthology?
A6. If your story is not shortlisted for the anthology but appears in the longlist (as declared on January 6, 2020 (Monday)), then it would be published on our website here (www.penmancy.com). If you so wish not to have it published on the website as well, you may write to email@example.com stating the same.
Q7. If my story does not appear on the longlist, what happens to it?
A7. If your story does not appear on the longlist you have two options-
- you may withdraw your submission and use it accordingly
- you may edit/rewrite and submit to be published on our website www.penmancy.com
Q7. Can I invite my other writer friends to participate in the event?
A7. Absolutely! The event is open to submission by anyone over 16+ years of age.
For any further queries, please do not hesitate to write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or through the Contact Us section on the website.
Connect with us on our social media to stay updated on the event details: