Revanche is a French term for ‘revenge’. The form was created by David Hirt, an American poet. The defining feature of the Revanche is the alternating rhymeless quatrains with the rhymed couplets.
Here are the basic rules of the revanche:
~stanzaic; 1st stanza is a quatrain (4-line poem) and the second stanza is a couplet (2-line stanza)
~metric: iambic tetrameter (This means that each line has 8 syllables (or four beats) with a rhythm that sounds like ‘‘da DUM da DUM da DUM da DUM” or a series of unstressed and stressed syllables.)
~rhymed: xxxx aa, xxxx bb, xxxx cc, etc. (x = unrhymed, as suggested above)
Here are a few lines in iambic tetrameter from the poem“The Daffodils” by William Wordsworth:
I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o’er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Note: We understand that this form is difficult so we make this writing event easier for you. Poems that are not written in iambic tetrameter will not be disqualified from winning but will score less in prompt adherence.
- Pen a 12-line revanche in any topic or theme. Kindly highlight the ‘stressed’ syllables in your poem.
- Send in your entries, as an attachment in a word document (.doc/.docx, any other file will not be published), to email@example.com along with a 2-3 line bio (not required if previously sent).
- The subject of your mail should be Entry for #PenMuse-45 (compulsory).
- Along with your entry please send a suggested cover for your poem. (please send it as a separate attachment. Make sure it is a stock photo, no watermarks, and of high resolution –800 pixels and above). The elves at Penmancy are mighty pleased if a story is accompanied by a cover.
- The submitted poem must have a title (Keep it simple with no punctuation marks; all words more than 3 letters must be capitalized)
- There is no limit to the number of entries you may submit –though only the first submitted poem will be qualified for contention.
- Previously published or plagiarised works will not be considered for contention.
- Poems found to have been shared on another platform or blog before the declaration of results stand disqualified from the event, and the writer of such content stands to be disqualified for the next Penmancy event.
- In case a poem is received after the submission deadline, it shall be considered as a guest entry and shall not qualify for the event.
- Entries that don’t follow rules will be published and shared on the page and group but are disqualified for winning.
- The winner will be chosen on the basis of the judges’ scores (out of 10)
- creativity/content and originality, [12 points]
- coherence of form and structure (harmony of words, presentation), [12 points]
- clarity of imagery and language/grammar, [10 points]
- emotional impact, [10 points]
- topic/relevance to the theme, [6 points]
- The entries adjudged by a panel of judges and event organisers shall be binding. Judges’ scores to be deemed final and may not be contested. Final scores are not disclosed to the participants.
- All writers are required to read and comment on 5 poems other than their own and encourage their fellow writers with valuable and constructive inputs. Comments like “nice”, “good work”, “brilliant piece”, etc. do not provide the necessary critique and are not helpful for anyone.
- Only stories that garnered an average score/rating of 7.5 and above from the panel of judges shall be eligible for winning.
- The last date of submission is October 20, 2022 (Thursday).
- Winners shall be announced on October 27, 2022 (Thursday).
The announcement of winners may be postponed or preponed depending on the number of entries received.
The winners of the event shall receive the book “Wordicted” byDr Ekta Kaur Sachdeva.
This book was extended for #BookNook Gift-a-book program by the author.
For questions related to the rules and criteria, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or through the Contact Us section on the website.
Here are the submitted poems:
Connect with Penmancy:
Penmancy gets a small share of every purchase you make through these links, and every little helps us continue bringing you the reads you love!