From the grid below, choose one setting and character to write a story. You may introduce other characters, but the main character should be from the list. Also, the setting selected must be the primary setting and you may introduce alternate settings as flashbacks or backstory, but the main event should occur in the given choices. In other words, the entire story should take place in any one of the five settings given.
- Send in your entries to firstname.lastname@example.org in a word document along with a 2-3 line bio (not required if previously sent) and a cover picture for your story (optional).
- The subject of your mail should be “Entry for #YouMay″ (compulsory).
- Instantly earn 250 Penmancy Points on submission.
- Use the theme to write your fictional story. Any genre is acceptable.
- The submitted story must be between 2800-3000 words (each). Entries lower than or exceeding the word limit will stand disqualified for the event. (Penmancy Tip: Use https://wordcounter.io/ to check your word count.)
- There is no limit to the number of entries you may submit- though only one of them will qualify for winning.
- Previously published or plagiarised works will not be considered for contention. The writer of such content stands to be disqualified for the next Penmancy event.
- Stories found to have been shared on another platform or blog before the declaration of results stand disqualified from the event.
- In case a story is received after the submission deadline, it shall be considered as a guest entry and shall not qualify for the event, so please be mindful.
- Submitted entries to be adjudged based on the premise, flow, grammar and presentation.
- The entries to be adjudged by a panel of judges and event organisers.
- All writers are required to read and comment on 5 stories other than their own and encourage their fellow writers with valuable and constructive inputs. Comments like “nice”, “good work”, “brilliant piece”, etc. do not provide the necessary critique and is not helpful for anyone.
- 2 winners will be sent a beautiful book sleeve from Reading Owl Creations
- The last date of submission is May 31, 2019 (Friday). Winners shall be announced on June 7, 2019 (Friday).
- For questions related to the rules and criteria, please write to us at email@example.com or through the Contact Us section on the website.
Here are the submitted stories for the event: