Let us embark on a genre-blending adventure!
Write a story by combining two or more genres and end it with an unexpected, mind-bending twist that defies readers’ expectations.
Blend romance with science fiction, or mystery with fantasy, or contemporary fiction with paranormal, or choose any other coupling of genres. Let your creative prowess shine as you lead your characters through uncharted territories of imagination.
This month’s #HarnessWriting prompt is sponsored by author Smita Das Jain. Her latest book, ‘Twisted Tales and Turns’ is a multi-genre short story collection with the ‘twist’ as a plot device binding all the stories together.
- Weave a tale in a blend of genres of your choice. (Head on to the thread of this post on our FB Group for an enlightening discussion, if any.)
- Send in your entries to firstname.lastname@example.org as an attachment in a word document (.doc/.docx) along with a 2-3 line bio (not required if previously sent) and a cover picture for your story (optional).
- The subject of your mail should be “Entry for #Fusion″ (compulsory).
- Along with your entry please send a suggested cover for your story (LANDSCAPE ONLY, as direct attachment, and no watermark, please). Use pixabay.com, pexels.com or unsplash.com to source lovely covers. In case your story is unaccompanied by a cover or is of poor quality, it will delay the publishing process.
- The submitted story must be between 2500-4500 words (each). Entries lower than or exceeding the word limit will stand disqualified for the event. (Penmancy Tip: Use https://wordcounter.io/ to check your word count.)
- There is no limit to the number of entries you may submit- though only the first one of them will be eligible for the contest.
- Previously published or plagiarised works will not be considered for contention. The writer of such content stands to be disqualified for the next Penmancy event.
- In case a story is received after the submission deadline, it shall be considered as a guest entry and shall not qualify for the contest.
- The winner will be chosen on the basis of the judges’ scores (out of 10)
- plot/story/creativity (15 points)
- language/grammar (10 points)
- narrative voice & content (9 points)
- emotional impact, (8 points)
- characterisation (8 points)
- The entries adjudged by a panel of judges and event organisers shall be binding. Judges’ scores to be deemed final and may not be contested or sought from the Penmancy team.
- All writers are required to read and comment on 5 stories other than their own and encourage their fellow writers with valuable and constructive inputs. Comments like ‘nice’, ‘good work’, ‘brilliant piece’, etc., do not provide the necessary critique and are not helpful to anyone.
- Only stories that garnered and average score/rating of 7.5 and above, as aggregated on judges’ scores, shall be eligible for winning.
- Contest Duration
- The submission for the contest is open from September 2 to September 30, 2023
- Results for the event shall be shared on October 7, 2023, at 8:00 pm
Top three winners will receive a copy of the book ‘Twisted Tales and Turns’ by Smita Das Jain.
For questions related to the rules and criteria, please write to us at email@example.com or through the Contact Us section on the website.
Here are the submitted stories for the event:
Penmancy gets a small share of every purchase you make through these links, and every little helps us continue bringing you the reads you love!