Base your story on your interpretation of the phrase ‘upside down’ literally or metaphorically.
- Send in your entries to email@example.com as an attachment in a word document (.doc/.docx) along with a 2-3 line bio, in the third person (not required if previously sent).
- The subject of your mail should be “Entry for #QuinTale-24″(compulsory).
- Along with your entry PLEASE send a suggested cover for your story (to be sent as a separate attachment. Check for a stock photo, a link would be enough, of high resolution –900 pixels and above on either, Pixabay, Pexels or Unsplash) The elves at Penmancy are mighty pleased if a story is accompanied by a cover.
- Your fictional story can be in any genre (or a combination of two or more genres).
- The submitted story must be between 450-500 words (each). Entries lower than or exceeding the word limit will stand disqualified for the event. (Penmancy Tip: Use https://wordcounter.io/ to check your word count.)
- There is no limit to the number of entries you may submit- though only the first story received shall qualify for the event. The subsequent submissions shall be treated as a guest story/ies.
- Previously published or plagiarised works will not be considered for contention. The writer of such content stands to be disqualified for the next Penmancy event.
- Stories found to have been shared on another platform or blog before the declaration of results stand disqualified from the event.
In case a story is received after the submission deadline, it shall be considered as a guest entry and shall not qualify for the event.
- NO corrections/reviews of story/ies shall be entertained, though you may submit your edited stories after the event has concluded.
The winner will be chosen on the basis of votes from the readers and the judges’ scores (out of 10), in the ratio 30:70
- a. Judges’ scores to be based on-
- plot/story/creativity (15 points)
- language/grammar (10 points)
- narrative voice & content (9 points)
- emotional impact, (8 points)
- use of prompt/theme (8 points)
b. The voting process for the readers:
- The option for rating would be given below each story on the website.
- Readers to rate the story on the basis of 5 (rate it based on the content, language, creativity, prompt and emotional impact).
- Readers can vote once for each story. Multiple votes do not get recorded.
- Once the rating is given, your vote is recorded and cannot be altered.
- Writers are free to share the link of their stories on their social media connects to garner more votes.
2. The entries adjudged by a panel of judges and event organisers shall be binding. Judges’ scores to be deemed final and may not be contested.
3. All writers are required to read and comment on 5 stories other than their own and encourage their fellow writers with valuable and constructive inputs. Comments like “nice”, “good work”, “brilliant piece”, etc. do not provide the necessary critique and are not helpful for anyone.
4. Only stories that garner an average score/rating of 7.5 and above from the panel of judges shall be eligible for winning.
5. Event timelines-
- The last date of submission is November 23, 2020 (Monday).
- Voting concludes on December 1, 2020 (Tuesday).
- Winners shall be announced on December 2, 2020, at 8 PM (Wednesday).
Announcement of winners may be postponed or preponed depending on the number of entries received.
6. Top three winners will win the book My Daughters’ Mum by Natasha Badhwar
Here are the submitted stories for the event:
Penmancy gets a small share of every purchase you make through these links, and every little helps us continue bringing you the reads you love!