“Beyond the picket fences and oil wells, the happy endings, and the fairy tales, is the reality of shattered lives and broken dreams. But we must carry on.”
Whether it’s literal or hypothetical, interpret the word #shattered and weave a story around it.
- No entry fee for submission of a story.
- The event is open for writers all over the world.
- You must be 15+ years to be eligible to enter the contest.
- The story MUST be fictional. Any genre (or a combination of two or more genres) is acceptable.
- Submit your story as a word (.doc/.docx) file marked “Entry for #Shattered” to email@example.com
- The submitted story must be between 3000-5000 words (each). Entries lower than or exceeding the word limit will stand disqualified for the event.
- There is no limit to the number of entries that you may submit.
- ONLY exclusive stories submitted for this event shall be considered for inclusion in the anthology. Previously published or plagiarised works will not be considered for contention.
- In case a story is received after the submission deadline, it shall be considered as a guest entry and, if the author permits, shall be published on the Penmancy website.
- Top 20 stories shall be selected for the anthology which shall be announced after the event closes (check event timeline).
- Authors of the selected stories will be given 3 days to revisit their work for minor changes. They then have to resubmit their latest draft for final editing.
- Writers of selected stories shall be contacted separately through email and they would be required to enter into an agreement with Penmancy for the publication of their stories as a part of the anthology. The copyright of the stories remains with the contributing writers.
- Submitted entries to be adjudged based on adherence to the prompt, plot & story, emotional impact, narrative voice/presentation and the use of language (on a base scale of 10 points)
- The entries adjudged by a panel of judges and event organizers shall be binding.
- Only stories that garnered an average score/rating of 8 and above from the panel of judges shall be eligible for inclusion in the anthology.
- The duration of the contest is August 1-21, 2020 (3 weeks)
- The first long list of the submitted stories to be announced on August 22, 2020
- The shortlisted stories to be announced on August 31, 2020
- Cover reveal of the anthology to be announced on September 1, 2020
- Anthology to be published on Amazon (KDP format) on September 30, 2020
Terms & Conditions: (Please read carefully)
- These terms apply to the entrants for/of Penmancy Anthology Contest 2020. You agree to abide by these terms in their entirety. If you do not agree to any of these terms and conditions, you should not use this service. The organizers reserve the right to modify these terms and conditions at any time.
- You agree that you are legally capable of entering the Penmancy Anthology Contest and agree to the Terms and Conditions, and that you are competent (i.e. you are of sufficient age and mental capacity) and eligible to enter into a legally binding agreement with its rules and terms and conditions.
- By submitting your creative work, you declare that it is your own, original work, that it contains no matter which is defamatory or is otherwise unlawful in India, or which invades individual privacy or infringes any proprietary right or any statutory copyright; and you agree to indemnify and hold the organizers harmless against any claim to the contrary.
- You agree that while you retain ownership of your work, and by submitting an entry to the contest, you give Penmancy the permission to use your entry, with acknowledgment, on their websites, as part of Press Releases (from where they may be reproduced by media organizations). Should your entry be selected for publication, you give the editors and publishers of the compilation the right to edit your work as they deem fit.
- Should you find your name in the shortlist, you will be contacted solely through the name and email address you had given at the time of entry submission. You will respond to this notification within 3 days from the day of the results, and should you fail to do so, the organizers have the right to award the prize to the next highest scoring entry, and you forfeit all claims to the publication of your story in the anthology.
- You agree that the decisions of the screening jury and the contest judges are final and binding, and no correspondence will be entertained regarding these decisions.
Sales and Profit Sharing:
- Since Kindle publishing is a low-profit venture, sharing of proceeds with all the authors of the anthology and Penmancy will only be possible after a certain amount of sales is attained.
- Writers of the selected stories will be notified of the turnout separately.
For further questions related to the rules and criteria, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or through the Contact Us section on the website.
Connect with Penmancy:
Check out our previous anthology of stories here:
Penmancy gets a small share of every purchase you make through these links, and every little helps us continue bringing you the reads you love!