- Play Writing Event
- April 1-28, 2019
How many characters?
- Up to 4 characters of your choice
How many acts?
- Up to 4 acts
Any other rules?
- None (No restriction on setting or genre)
- The play script must be between 1000-1200 words. Entries lower than or exceeding the word limit will stand disqualified for the event. (Penmancy Tip: Use https://wordcounter.io/ to check your word count.)
- Make sure to follow the basic format of writing a play.
- Act Scenes must be capitalised and in Roman Numerals. Ex. ACT I; ACT II
- Actions are in parentheses. Ex. (Laughing) or (Rousing herself) or (Throws bag on the sofa).
- Character names are capitalised. Ex. RAJIV or VIDYA (If character names appear within the dialogue, only the first letter is capitalised.)
- Your play must have a title.
- Make your plays interesting with interesting plots and interesting characters. Don’t worry much about spacing, margins, and indentions. Just make your document neat.
- Submit your play script to firstname.lastname@example.org in a word document along with your 2-3 line bio and your photo (need not to send if sent already)
- You may submit up to 2 plays of unique storylines.
- Four (4) top entries will be selected at the end of the event and will receive 400 PPs each. Also, specifically for this event, submission gets 150 PPs; valuable comments on other stories get 20 PPs.
- The last date of submission is April 28, 2019. Top 4 shall be announced on May 5, 2019, at 8 PM.
- Mr Google hosts hundreds of information and samples about play and playwriting. Seek his help.
For questions related to the rules and criteria, please write to us at email@example.com or through the Contact Us section on the website.
Criteria for Judging:
- Ideas/thoughts/creativity – 40%
- Language (grammar, spelling, writing quality) -20%
- Presentation (coherence, completeness) -30%
- Participation (comments on other entries, replying to comments) -10%
Check out the submitted plays here: