Autumn, with its kaleidoscope of warm greens, yellows, deep reds, orangey reds, and peachy yellowed-pinks, not to mention every shade of golden brown, symbolises transformation. These colours mirror the changes we undergo while gearing up for challenges or triumphantly overcoming them. They’re a reminder that life itself is a celebration, much like the vibrant palette nature bestows upon us.
This month, we encourage you to incorporate these autumnal hues into your narratives. Let one of these colours become the central theme of your story, symbolising the warmth and preparedness we all need for the approaching winter. Or, signifying something completely spooky or sinister.
- Weave a tale in a blend of genres of your choice. (Head on to the thread of this post on our FB Group for an enlightening discussion, if any.)
- Send in your entries to email@example.com as an attachment in a word document (.doc/.docx) along with a 2-3 line bio (not required if previously sent) and a cover picture for your story (optional).
- The subject of your mail should be “Entry for #Carmine″ (compulsory).
- Along with your entry please send a suggested cover for your story (LANDSCAPE ONLY, as direct attachment, and no watermark, please). Use pixabay.com, pexels.com or unsplash.com to source lovely covers. In case your story is unaccompanied by a cover or is of poor quality, it will delay the publishing process.
While we’re on this, let us share that the cover image of this event is courtesy Mithila Peshwe, Penmancy Community Manager.
- The submitted story must be between 2500-4500 words (each). Entries lower than or exceeding the word limit will stand disqualified for the event. (Penmancy Tip: Use https://wordcounter.io/ to check your word count.)
- There is no limit to the number of entries you may submit- though only the first one of them will be eligible for the contest.
- Previously published or plagiarised works will not be considered for contention. The writer of such content stands to be disqualified for the next Penmancy event.
- In case a story is received after the submission deadline, it shall be considered as a guest entry and shall not qualify for the contest.
- The winner will be chosen on the basis of the judges’ scores (out of 10)
- plot/story/creativity (15 points)
- language/grammar (10 points)
- narrative voice & content (9 points)
- emotional impact, (8 points)
- characterisation (8 points)
- The entries adjudged by a panel of judges and event organisers shall be binding. Judges’ scores to be deemed final and may not be contested or sought from the Penmancy team.
- All writers are required to read and comment on 5 stories other than their own and encourage their fellow writers with valuable and constructive inputs. Comments like ‘nice’, ‘good work’, ‘brilliant piece’, etc., do not provide the necessary critique and are not helpful to anyone.
- Only stories that garnered and average score/rating of 7.5 and above, as aggregated on judges’ scores, shall be eligible for winning.
- Contest Duration
- The submission for the contest is open from October 1 to October 31, 2023
- Results for the event shall be shared on November 7, 2023, at 8:00 pm
Top three winners will receive a copy of one of these books by Beetashok Chatterjee.
For questions related to the rules and criteria, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or through the Contact Us section on the website.
Here are the submitted stories for the event: