~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Rich rhyme –a rhyme using two different words that happen to be homonyms. Homonyms are words which sound alike or are spelt alike but have different meanings. Homonyms can be homophones or homographs.
- raise:raze [raise=lift]; [raze=destroy] –sound alike, different spelling or homophones
- fair:fair (fair=just); (fair=light-coloured)–sound alike, same spelling or homographs
Here’s an example of a rich rhyme by Sheena Jain (Fryme entry)
The old man walks around with a stick
Looking for a postage stamp to stick
On prayers that he keeps light
To reach God at speed of light.
- The rhyme scheme is your choice. It can be AABB, ABAB, ABBA…as long as the rhyming words are homonyms
- Keep the syllable counts in check to enhance the beauty of a rhyming poem
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
1. Based on the above definition, write a 16-line rich rhyme.
2. All poems must have a title.
3. Poem/s must be the entrant’s original work and entries must not have been previously published elsewhere. NO PLAGIARISM, please!
4. You may submit up to 2 entries (or any additional as guest entries). Only entries that garnered an average score of 7.5 and above will be considered for winning.
5. The poem would be scored on the basis of an average of the below criterion (out of 10)-
(a) use of the theme (10 Points): Originality and creativity in interpretation and incorporation of the theme are demonstrated.
(b) Emotional Impact (10 Points): The poem evokes emotion and allows for a suspension of disbelief.
(c) Message (10 Points): The poem’s message is unique, fresh, and moving.
(d) Form and Flow (10 Points): The poem is structured in a powerful way on the page.
(e) Use of Language (10 Points): The language employed is mined for maximum expression, word choices are creative and effective, figurative language (metaphor, simile etc.) are fresh and unique.
6. Entries appearing on personal blogs or other platforms before the announcement of results stand disqualified from the event.
7. Send your poems to email@example.com with the subject as “Entry for PenMuse-09” in a word document along with your bio in 2-3 lines (in the third person) — need not to send if previously sent, lest you need it updated. You may also submit the cover of your poem (optional).
8. The closing date of the event is July 20, 2019 (Saturday). Results will be announced on July 27, 2019 (Saturday).
What better reward than to get instant feedback and encouragement!
Get an instant review from fellow writers and readers. Join our writers’ forum for more engagement at Write.Read.Support. Additionally, earn Penmancy Points.
Start earning Penmancy Points as soon as you submit a poem.
For details of Penmancy Points:
Check the submitted poems here:
He wishes me a sleepy bye. I wonder how time flew by. Finishing maternity leave, House, I am about to ...Read More
Whenever I fall, you made me stand, For me you always took a stand, All my dresses in my almirah ...Read More
On a rainy day we went our own way Having big glasses of protein whey He was sitting on my ...Read More
The sky was so blue As the wind blew, A rainstorm rose Uprooting the rose. The maiden came so fair ...Read More
It happened a year ago, with someone I now yearn to see, But for so long we have remained across ...Read More
She went to the jungle to graze the herd Unaware, some vultures her footsteps had heard Grabbing and swatting on ...Read More
As I was coming down the winding stairs I saw some desperate kittens and their scared stares My steps halting ...Read More
John was joyful today, he sure was gay He married Tom, Yes! both were gay. Holly hitched a sales man ...Read More
I believe, life is a beautiful present I try to give my best in the present Usually, it engulfs me ...Read More
A chilly winter morn, I was sleeping sound Unlike an alarm, woke up to an ebullient sound Eager to join ...Read More
We both swimmed through her vein, Mom was worried in vain. Happy to be, Dad new, Mom blushed and said ...Read More
Love actually, I found at the beach, When there she was, on a seat made of beech, Gorgeous Oh! Such ...Read More
One day she woke up, found herself bald Oh how she cried, she sobbed, she bawled Her lustrous tresses were ...Read More
Molested, abducted by our own son, Why can’t a woman just wallow in sun? Exalt female deity as idol, Female ...Read More
Her soul was wrecked, her body weak when she heard the cry of her first son He came in premature ...Read More
Its an irony, I find tough to spell, Even after having a decent spell; Is there an existence of a ...Read More
I wish you would have accepted my rose.. My plummeting fortune would have rose.. I wish you liked the picturesque ...Read More
Sitting on the beach by the deep blue sea Into the gleaming, orange horizon we see The blue of the ...Read More
Arjun stood lost, muddled was his soul, Gopal poised by him, as his mentor sole. Battle had begun, conches were ...Read More
Winter moves its inert, torpid weight, Spring dryads flutter after long wait. Wind's whippets wilt to trivial whine, Relish mellow ...Read More
Men in blue, keep your eyes on the goal The World Cup, not the football goal. Crores of Indians world ...Read More
My birth is met with a tired sigh and a tear To the world, I’m a piece of flesh to ...Read More
The land of Masai, Savannah of boundless plain Slow and unhurried, here life’s on a different plane. It’s kingdom of ...Read More
The icy bitter winds blew, Across the indifferent expanse blue, Painful memories ripped my soul, As the sharp blades of ...Read More
Furious eyes blaze like scalding steel Lips spew fire, tempers are raised, Turmoil and rage plunder and steal Sanity of ...Read More
I started my journey on a winding road As spirited as a traveller sole Eager to satiate my weary soul ...Read More
Once I had a function somewhere And not a decent dress to wear Looking in the mirror, I couldn’t bear ...Read More
Hand in hand, they had walked on by,But today they bid a final good bye,Here on this cold and dreary ...Read More
He let a pregnant pause hang in the air Then he picked the will, named the heir The lawyer was ...Read More
I looked in awe at the endless, vast sea My young mind enticed by the striking blue, Taking the first ...Read More
Connect with Penmancy: