Use an animal as a representation of a quality that they are commonly associated with and frame a 450-500 word story. For example, a dove is a symbol of peace, lion is a symbol of bravely, dog is a symbol of loyalty, etc.
Do not use animals as characters in your story (no anthropomorphism).
Let us use symbolism as the literary tool for this prompt. Keep in mind the key elements of flash fiction—brevity, a complete plot and surprise/twist—make it as creative as you can! Use any genre or blend of genres.
- Check this link to get down to the nitty-gritty of writing flash fiction
- Send in your entries to email@example.com as an attachment in a word document (.doc/.docx) along with a 2-3 line bio, in the third person (not required if previously sent).
- The subject of your mail should be “Entry for #QuinTale-49″(compulsory).
- Along with your entry PLEASE send a suggested cover in landscape form for your story (to be sent as a separate attachment or a link of the stock photo (not watermarked) would be enough, of high resolution -900 pixels and above on either, Pixabay, Pexels or Unsplash) The elves at Penmancy are mighty pleased if a story is accompanied by a cover.
- The submitted story must be between 450-500 words (each). Entries lower than or exceeding the word limit will stand disqualified for the event. (Penmancy Tip: Use https://wordcounter.io/ to check your word count.)
- There is no limit to the number of entries you may submit- though only the first story received shall qualify for the event. The remaining story/ies shall be treated as a guest story/ies.
- Previously published or plagiarised works will not be considered for contention. The writer of such content stands to be disqualified for the next Penmancy event.
- Stories found to have been shared on another platform or blog before the declaration of results stands disqualified from the event.
In case a story is received after the submission deadline, it shall be considered as a guest entry and shall not qualify for the event.
- NO corrections/ reviews of story/ies shall be entertained, but you may submit your edited stories after the event has concluded.
- The winner will be chosen on the basis of the votes taken during the Focus Group Discussion held on a scheduled day of the month for the below categories:
- Best Plot
- Best Editing
- Emotional Impact
- The voters will vote on a scale of 1 to 5 (with 1 being the least and 5 being the most) on each of these parameters.
- The votes thus collected would be aggregated for each category.
- The results would pass through the filter of ‘prompt adherence’ to get to the final result. In case the best voted in any category fails at the prompt adherence litmus test, then the next best voted story would take the lead.
- The entries adjudged through this process shall be binding. No scores will be shared with the participants.
- All writers are required to read and comment on 5 stories other than their own and encourage their fellow writers with valuable and constructive inputs. Comments like “nice”, “good work”, “brilliant piece”, etc. do not provide the necessary critique and are not helpful for anyone.
- Participants of the Focus Group Discussion (to be held on every 1st day of the subsequent month) must be prepared with their queries and notes after reading the minimum number of stories.
- Event timelines-
- The last date of submission is February 20, 2022 (Monday).
- Three winners shall be announced on March 2, 2023, at 8 PM (Thursday).
The announcement of winners may be postponed or preponed depending on the number of entries received.
The winners of the event shall receive the book ‘My Name is Cinnamon‘ by Vikas Prakash Joshi.
This book has been shared by the author as a part of the Penmancy #BookNook Gift-a-Book program
For questions related to the rules and criteria, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or through the Contact Us section on the website.
Here are the submitted stories for the event:
Penmancy gets a small share of every purchase you make through these links, and every little helps us continue bringing you the reads you love!